Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Roast Beef Roll ups with a Plantain Flat Bread

Ever get invited to a Christmas Party where guests are asked to bring finger foods?

Here's the perfect dish!

 These roll-ups will definitely have people at the party asking you for the recipe. And it's True Gluten Free too!


This recipe and post is for Dr.Peter Osborne. This was one of the dishes that I took to his awesome meeting in November- "How to Navigate the Holidays and Stay on a Gluten Free Diet." Dr.Osborne was hoping for some Holiday dishes so I got a little creative for him with this recipe. I was going to arrange these tasty Roast Beef roll ups on a platter in the shape of a Christmas tree but couldn't find my rectangular platter. I grabbed my oval platter and decided to make it look somewhat like a wreath.

Now I will have to tell you this recipe takes some work and making the flatbread will take some practice.

For the flatbread and how I bake my roast...
I gave this recipe to Dr.Osborne at Gluten Free Society. You can get the full recipe to the Plantain Roll-ups and Roast by visiting his post at...


Roast Beef Roll-ups

For a few more pictures of the flatbread and the Tomato Spread and Macadamia nut spread I used on my Roast Beef Roll ups, scroll down. 

First I prepared the flatbread.
Practice with the recipe by making little circles or whatever shape suits you. If you get these too thick, they will break when you roll them and if you get them too thin, they will break. So practice until you get the perfect thickness. Also remove them off the parchment paper as soon as you remove them from the oven because the parchment paper sweats big time. I flip it over and carefully pull the paper off and then allow the flatbread to cool.

 



When you get good with the thickness of your flatbread, you can pour the batter onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and spread the batter over the entire cookie sheet making one big rectangular flatbread. Cut the flatbread into strips after it has cooled from the oven. Don't forget to get it off that parchment paper right away. I cut the brown edges off first before cutting my strips for the roll-ups.



You can also cut squares for a flatbread wrap. Wrap any meat or veggie in them and they hold up rather well. 












To create the Roast Beef Roll-ups I also created two spreads. 


Tomato Spread:
2-3 large organic tomatoes
1/2 chopped onion
1 1/2 cup water

Boil these in a pot until water reduces to almost no more water.
Allow it to cool some, then add it to a processor. Add in

1/2 t. salt
pepper
2 t.Oregano
1 t. Coconut Aminos
3 t. Coconut Vinegar

1/2 cup Coconut Oil
1 T. Local Raw Honey
3 garlic cloves.

Process well and store in a mason jar.


Macadamia Nut Spread:

1 cup Macadamia Nuts
1/3 cup Coconut oil
Salt

Process together

I spread both of these on each strip of flatbread. You can also mix them together to make one spread.

Lay thin slices of roast beef on the spread.

Grab some green leaf lettuce (you want green leaf for the ruffled edges it has) and position it close to the edge of the flatbread so that it sticks out the top when you roll it.
Roll the flatbread and secure with a toothpick. You can make these ahead of time like the day before and store them in the refridgerator. Arrange on a platter to serve.  (They may sweat a little after you remove them from the fridge but they are still delicious!)














1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful and so festive. I have a party next week. I think I'll try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete